Liposuction is one of the most common and popular cosmetic procedures, undertaken to eliminate or diminish flab, lumps or bumps of localized fat, and to trim, sculpt or tone areas of the body. It is performed under local anaesthesia. However, liposuction is indeed an invasive procedure, so there are some risks involved, and potential complications may arise.
Keeping yourself informed about the complications, and then taking the correct preventive measures can go a long way in removing any future health issues. Reading up about the procedure, consulting an experienced doctor, and following all instructions are good ideas. Here are some other things worth keeping in mind.
Things to Remember
- Don’t expect that you’ll emerge absolutely skinny, toned or sculpted seconds after the procedure. The effect is cumulative, and best results are seen after a few months, even if the change is pretty evident after the procedure.
- Never hesitate when you have a question. You should have no inhibitions or doubts going into the process. Prepare a list of questions you want to ask the surgeon or the dermatologist. Ask personal questions about their experience or training if needed.
- Avoid any over-the-counter supplements like vitamin E, aspirin or some herbal products. Furthermore, anti-inflammatory meds may increase the probability of bleeding during the surgery. The doctor will hold a discussion about medications or supplements before the procedure. So, you should definitely mention all the meds you are taking at the time to avoid complications. Do not continue with the medicines or drugs which you would be asked to stop taking.
- Know that not all areas respond to liposuction. Most fatty areas like the abdomen, arms, chest, hips, waist, neck, thighs and buttocks are treatable, but you should consult a dermatologist to understand whether the surgery you want is actually possible.
Things worth Doing
- Do plenty of research about the procedure, previous applications in the same body area, etc. Choose a surgeon in a reputed location on the basis of experience, expertise and recommendations.
- Definitely, keep a healthy diet and weight before the surgery. You should be close to your normal weight, and your skin should be elastic and firm. There is no need to diet or undergo vigorous exercise because these may even have detrimental effects.
- Know your options. There are several cosmetic procedures available from Chelsea Cosmetics for you under liposuction too. The most preferred one is tumescent liposuction, as it uses local anaesthesia which makes the fat firm and easy to remove. Laser-assisted or ultrasonic liposuction techniques are worth considering if you are looking for fast recovery time. They liquefy the fat upon removal, thus making the recovery time drastically lower. You should always consider your doctor’s opinion as to which procedure would be the best for you.
- Follow the post-operation directions meticulously. The doctors will always give you a host of suggestions after the surgery so that you get the best results out of the procedure and also avoid any possible complications.