If you are considering liposuction in Melbourne, we have a variety of options to suit your body and your goals.
Liposuction is a great solution to remove stubborn fat that isn't responding to exercise and diet. Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery procedure also known as Lipoplasty, lipo, suction-assisted lipectomy. It is essentially a fat-removal surgery that removes excess fat deposits from targeted areas of the body. This can help to give you the body shape and proportions you've always wanted.
Liposuction produces effective results when performed by experienced hands on the right candidates. Each cosmetic practitioner at Chelsea Cosmetics is highly experienced in performing fat-removal surgeries. Our entire team provides the highest level of care. Importantly, our Melbourne liposuction clinic uses state-of-the-art equipment. We also offer innovative fat-removal methods to help you achieve beautiful, natural-looking results.
How Liposuction Works
Traditionally the liposuction procedure starts with your surgeon injecting a special tumescent fluid consisting of salt water, epinephrine, and lidocaine into the treatment area. This causes the fat cells to swell and break down, making them easier to remove. The epinephrine component causes the blood cells to constrict, minimising the amount of blood loss. While the lidocaine numbs the area, ensuring the patient remains comfortable during and after surgery.
After injecting the tumescent fluid, several small incisions are made. The liposuction surgeon then inserts a thin, long hollow tube known as a cannula. The cannula attaches to the line, which connects to a surgical vacuum and is moved back and forth to loosen the fat further. The vacuum is then switched on to suction out the fat.
Types of Liposuction Treatments
Several popular liposuction treatments are available and choosing the correct one is important. The method that your surgeon recommends will depend on several factors. These may including the size of the treatment area, the amount of fat to be removed, and the quality of the patient's skin. The most common liposuction treatments are:
- Laser lipolysis with Power-assisted Liposuction (PAL) One of the newest fat removal methods patients benefit from is laser lipolysis. While performing this state-of-the-art fat-removal technique, the surgeon creates a small incision and then inserts a probe. This specially designed probe uses a laser to melt the fat. After dissolving the fat, it is removed using Power-assisted Liposuction (PAL). The PAL method is popular as it is less traumatic and employs vibrations to loosen fat before suctioning it out of the target area.
- VASERLIPO® is one of the most innovative fat-removal methods available in Melbourne. It is considered a high-definition liposuction procedure as the probe inserted emits ultrasound energy directly to the desired area. This process is also known as acoustic streaming. The fat is then removed through a suctioning process. Vaser lipo allows the tissues surrounding the treatment areas to remain intact, achieving smoother contours and a shorter recovery time.
- SlimLipo™ is a type of laser-assisted Liposuction that combines traditional fat-removal techniques with laser heat energy. The energy from the laser emulsifies the fat cells. In addition, the heat helps tighten the skin and encourages collagen production. Just like VASERLIPO®, SlimLipo™ is frequently labelled as a high-definition procedure.
- Tumescent Liposuction is performed under a special local anaesthetic of lignocaine/lidocaine. The reason is that it numbs the pain and epinephrine (adrenaline) is used to prevent bleeding by constricting the capillaries. A small specialised vacuum pump is used to suck out the fat whilst the patient is lying down, on their side or standing. The procedure causes bruising and little downtime.
- The traditional liposuction method takes place in the hospital under a general anaesthetic. The surgeon moves a large hollow cannula called an aspirator back and forth to loosen and suck out the patients fat.
- Mega Liposuction involves extracting a significant volume of fat (up to 5 litres) from individuals who are obese or have excess weight. This type of Liposuction is a highly effective means of losing weight for overweight individuals.
- We now also offer HD Liposuction for patients in Melbourne too.
Areas of the Body that Can Benefit
Liposuction removes pockets of excess fat from the body, including the face. Some of the most commonly targeted areas for Liposuction include:
- Upper arms liposuction
- Under the chin liposuction (i.e., double chin)
- Abdominal area liposuction
- Hips and waist liposuction (i.e., love handles)
- Thighs liposuction
- Upper and Lower back liposuction
- Legs liposuction
- Female breasts liposuction
- Male breasts liposuction (i.e., Gynecomastia)
- Face liposuction
These are some examples of liposuction Melbourne patients ask about and they are procedures we provide at our clinics on a regular basis.
What Results To Expect
A patient's liposuction results depend upon the surgeon's vision, experience, and skill in performing their procedure. The volume of fat that is present and the amount of excess skin the patient needs to be removed also of course affects the final result. After undergoing Liposuction, the "excess" skin typically shrinks and becomes taut. Once the swelling and retention of fluid decrease, you will notice a better body shape. It could take a few months for the swelling to go down completely. Nevertheless, there are certain circumstances where an operation to extract extra skin may be required.
Dr Attalla walks through a real liposuction consultation.
To understand if Liposuction may be the right option for you, an initial consultation with an experienced plastic and reconstructive surgeon is essential. They can not only answer all of your questions. but is critical to setting realistic expectations and for getting the best results. The first consultation forms the foundation of your personalised treatment plan.
During the initial appointment, the surgeon will ask you what goals you want to achieve. They will then examine and measure the areas targeted for treatment. It may include testing the quality of the skin and taking photos too. Information will be gathered about your overall health and medical history, as well as any current medication, herbal supplements and vitamin use.
Safety is the most important factor, which is why questions are asked about various lifestyle choices such. These may include smoking, recreational drug use and alcohol consumption. Providing candid answers to these questions is crucial. True answers are important because nicotine inhibits the body's ability to heal, alcohol increases inflammation, and recreational drugs may interact with the medications the patient receives.
Liposuction Costs Melbourne
For the surgeon to determine the cost of an individual's liposuction procedure, they must schedule an initial consultation. You are welcome to schedule a complimentary consultation, which can be conducted over the phone, via WhatsApp, or through FaceTime. During the appointment, choices can be made on which liposuction method best suits the patient's needs and how much the procedure will cost.
Recovering from Liposuction Surgery
The recovery period depends on the type of procedure chosen. While traditional Liposuction has two to three weeks of recovery, VASERLIPO® and Laser lipolysis have just three to seven days. SlimLipo™ has the least downtime, with the patient only needing a day or two. The following is a general guide for recovery:
A patient who receives general anaesthesia wakes up in the recovery area. For monitoring purposes, the patient remains here for several hours once they awaken. Some patients stay overnight.
Patients should expect to have inflammation, pain and bruising. The surgeon may provide the patient with a prescription for pain medication and antibiotics. The antibiotics help reduce the likelihood of the patient developing an infection.
After surgery, patients receive compression garments. These compression garments help protect the treated areas, help reduce swelling and support the new shape.
The First 24 Hours:
Bruising is common following lipoplasty procedures. Patients will have mild to moderate pain but can take oral medication to control their pain. This pain decreases substantially within the 48 hours following surgery. It is normal for patients to have some discharge from their incisions.
If medication does not relieve the patient's pain or a high fever develops, the patient should contact their surgeon immediately.
The First Week:
The surgeon schedules a follow-up visit. The compression garment is removed during this appointment, and the area is examined. This examination is crucial to determine if the patient is healing as expected.
The First Month:
Melbourne liposuction patients can usually return to work two weeks after their procedure.
Once the patient reaches the third and fourth week of recovery, the time they wear the compression garment is reduced from 24 to 12 hours a day.
Patients can usually resume light exercising and normal daily activities after the fourth week of recovery.
Benefits of Liposuction
- Removes the most stubborn pockets of fat that exercise and diet can’t
- Reduces fat cells in target areas
- Suitable for large-volume fat removal
- The removal of fat cells through the procedure is permanent, so they can't grow back.
- It can help you reach a healthy body mass index (BMI).
- Shapes your body for a more natural look and body fat distribution
- Restores mobility to hips, thighs and knees where excessive fat is present
- Reduces the number of inflammatory cells in the body linked to cardiovascular disease
- Reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol
- The results of Liposuction can enhance body proportions
Risks of Liposuction
Any plastic surgery comes with potential risks and side effects. Possible complications include pain and discomfort, internal puncture, scaring, skin defects, emboli, bruising, numbness, fluid accumulation, fat embolism, permanent skin colour change, hyperpigmentation where the skin darkens, seromas and hematomas. There is also the possibility of an allergic reaction to local anaesthetic and medications or experiencing a contour irregularity. This occurs in 2.7% of cases where your skin may appear wavy, withered or bumpy after the procedure. It usually occurs due to low skin elasticity.
The risk of Infection is low, occurring in less than 1% of cases. Infection is low due to high sterility standards, non-invasive techniques and the antibacterial effects of medications such as lidocaine found in local anaesthetics.
Other possible complications include Dyesthesia, where the area around the treatment feels strange or distorted and sometimes no feeling is present. Hyperesthesia is the opposite, where the area can be highly sensitive to touch. Both symptoms will gradually improve over the next six months.
Preparing for Liposuction
Patients receive varying levels of anaesthesia when undergoing Liposuction, which means they cannot drive for 24 hours. On the day of surgery, patients must have someone they trust remain with them overnight.
As safety is paramount, hiring transportation following anaesthesia is not permitted. Patients must bring a driver with them on the day of their surgery. Patients who arrive without a driver will have to reschedule their procedure.
Patients must discontinue taking or decrease their dose of certain medications before surgery. These medications include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), aspirin, ibuprofen and blood thinners. Patients taking prescription medications need to speak with their physician before they decrease or discontinue taking them.
Herbal supplements to stop taking include Kava Kava, St. John's Wort, Garlic, Ephedra, Valerian, Feverview, Ginseng, Dong Guai, Goldenseal, Echinacea, Licorice and Ginkgo Biloba. Patients must also stop taking vitamin E and Fish Oil during this timeframe.
Want to Discover What Liposuction Can Do For You?
If you are researching Liposuction in Melbourne and want to discover whether the procedure can help you attain the body contours you have always wanted, contact Chelsea Cosmetics at +61 3 8822 3472.
Our cosmetic practitioners will sit down with you and draw upon their years of experience, vision and exceptional skills to provide a personalised roadmap for you. It will explain how our liposuction treatments can help you achieve results you've always wanted.
**Individual outcomes vary as the results for one person may not be the same for others. Several factors, including genetics, diet, and exercise, can contribute to these differences.
*Every type of cosmetic surgery involves invasive procedures and therefore comes with an element of risk. This includes all types of liposuction in Melbourne.
Get in Touch
Speak to one of our experts and get personalized advice on liposuction Melbourne patients can trust. It will include treatment options to meet your unique needs. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.